This 2-part course introduces participants to Real Estate Investment Trusts. A REIT is a unique vehicle that allows investors access to the benefits of income and capital appreciation in major commercial income producing buildings throughout the world and to the professional management teams that operate them. During this course, participants will gain a deep understanding of the history of REITs, how they operate, the fundamentals of investing in REITs and managing a REIT portfolio.
Part I: The REIT Industry • November 9 • 2:00-4:30 p.m. ET
The first module of this course covers the history and evolution of the REIT Industry. It examines the laws, regulations and fundamentals that REITs must follow to be successful. We will also discuss the many restrictions to which REITs must adhere in order to maintain their tax exempt status. Finally, we will lay the groundwork for understanding how REITs operate and what to expect from an investment in REITs.
What you'll gain:
- Identify key characteristics of REIT investment and operating performance
- Generally understand key regulations that must be followed to keep tax exempt REIT status
- Recognize the ratios and metrics used to analyze REIT performance
- Understand the different financing methods available to REITs and the risks they create
Part II: The REIT Investment • November 10 • 2:00-4:30 p.m. ET
In this second module, participants will examine and compare investing in real estate (directly) and REITs that are tradable stocks. This module provides an introduction to and overview of the fundamentals of investing and managing a portfolio of REIT investments.
What you'll gain:
- Understand the basic steps in real estate and REIT investing
- Recognize individual investment risks and reward
- Outline the analytical work required to make investment decisions
- Explain the portfolio management process and apply it to REIT investments